Part of ISO 14001 is determining how your workplace can become more environmentally friendly. Aside from encouraging your suppliers and setting an example, what can you do to help the environment: “Even the smallest actions are steps in the right direction”.
- Go digital: Have your filing, processes and procedures stored in a hard drive or via internet/intranet/cloud for your employees to access. Move all your operations online. This way you eliminate the need for paper, and you will drastically reduce your waste.
- Go paperless: Pay your bills, and send your invoices online. Less paper and no postage costs necessary. Additionally, put a ‘no junk mail’ sticker on your mailbox and register online for email newsletters!
- Use a kettle, not a Zip boiler: zip boilers pull an immense amount of energy and are always on, whilst a kettle will use energy for those single times throughout a day you need it. Remember to ask your colleagues if they would like a cup, so you reduce the amount of kettles boiled as well.
- Don’t fly- go digital: To the extent this is possible, use software such as Google Hangouts, Skype or WhatsApp to dial in to meetings and conferences instead of flying your team members around.
- Use reusable water bottles: encourage staff to use sustainable water bottles instead of the disposable plastic ones. Equip the office kitchen with cups and reusable coffee mugs.
- Source locally: Short travelled products/supplies are better for the environment and support local businesses at the same time. It’s also important to consider just how sustainable what you’re purchasing is; nowadays there’s a raft of companies venturing into more ethically-produced and sustainable.
But most important of all: promote your ISO 14001 Environmental Management system and inspire your stakeholders, suppliers and clients to embark on the same journey. This will make the biggest impact of all. Amplify your efforts and impact, and leave a positive ripple effect with your corporate environmental responsibility.
Assess your ISO 14001 management system against the standard by contacting us today on 1300 402 602. For an introduction to ISO 14001, join us for our webinar here!