The Importance of safety in the supply chain is often underestimated. However, a safe and healthy supply chain is critical to the success of any business.
Importance of Safety in the Supply Chain
There are many reasons why safety is important in the supply chain. Some of these reasons include:
- Reduce costs associated with accidents, injuries, illnesses, and other problems caused by a lack of safety measures: The cost of injuries and illnesses can be significant. For instance, the total cost of work injuries in 2017–18 was $1.8 billion.
- Improve productivity and morale in the supply chain: A safe and healthy supply chain means that all employees are treated with respect and dignity. It also means that there is a lower risk of accidents and injuries occurring because everyone knows their responsibilities (including how to handle safety issues). This can lead to less downtime due to sick days taken off work which increases productivity levels as well as employee morale.
- Prevent the release of hazardous materials into the environment: This is especially important for companies that deal with food or pharmaceuticals. A safe and healthy supply chain means that all employees know how to handle hazardous materials safely and that there are adequate procedures for dealing with any potential emergencies.
- Reduce the amount of insurance premiums companies have to pay: A safe and healthy supply chain means that a company is less likely to experience accidents, injuries, illnesses, or other problems. This can lead to the company receiving lower insurance premiums as it proves that they are taking adequate safety measures to protect their employees and customers.
- Increase brand reputation and customer trust: A safe and healthy supply chain is a reflection of a company’s commitment to safety and its customers. It shows that the company takes its responsibilities seriously and is doing everything possible to ensure the safety and health of all parties involved in the supply chain. This can lead to an increase in brand reputation and customer trust, which can be beneficial for the company in the long run.
How to Improve Safety and Health in the Supply Chain
There are many ways businesses can improve safety and health in their supply chains. Some of these ways include:
- Ensuring employees have proper training on how to use equipment safely. Employees should be trained on how to use equipment properly, so they do not get injured.
- Making sure employees are adequately rested. Tired employees are more likely to be injured on the job.
- Encouraging employees to report unsafe conditions. If employees see something that they believe or feel is unsafe, they should report it to their supervisor.
- Providing safety equipment. Employees should be provided with the proper safety equipment, such as goggles, gloves, and masks.
- Promoting a safe work environment. Businesses should create a safe work environment for their employees. This includes providing proper ventilation and eliminating potential hazards.
How Best Practice Can Help
As a JAS-ANZ accredited certification body, Best Practice can provide your organisation with in house or online training and certification to ISO 45001. This internationally recognised safety management standard can help businesses improve safety and health in their supply chains, including safety audits, health and safety training, supply-chain management, policy development, and emergency preparedness planning. Contact us today to learn more about how ISO 45001 can benefit your business. .